Joseph Mallord William Turner
The road between Caserta and the Aqueduct
Wetherby Bridge and Mills, Yorkshire, looking across the weir
- Watercolour over pencil
- 12 ½ × 20 ½ inches · 318 × 521 mm
- Painted circa 1800
- Francis W. Keen;
- C.A. Keen;
- Keen sale, London, Sotheby’s, 20 April 1972, lot 57;
- Edward Fremantle, 1984;
- Robert Tear, acquired 1984, to 2011;
- And by descent, 2014.
- Leeds, Harewood House, Thomas Girtin, Genius in the North, 1999, no. 23;
- London, Tate Britain, Thomas Girtin: The Art of Watercolour, 2002, no. 133.
- David Hill, Thomas Girtin, Genius in the North, exh. cat., Yorkshire (Harewood House), 1999, p. 42, no. 23;
- Greg Smith (ed.), Thomas Girtin: The Art of Watercolour, exh. cat., London (Tate), 2002, p.172.
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston