Sunset: A Stormy Evening
The leaping horse, a preparatory oil study
- Oil on canvas on the original strainer, unlined
- 8 ⅜ × 10 ⅝ inches · 212 × 270 mm
- Painted c.1824-5
- Presumably the Constable family to c.1890;
- F. L. Wilder;
- and by descent, 2012;
- Lowell Libson Ltd;
- Private collection, UK, to 2015.
- London, Tate Gallery, Constable, The Art of Nature, 7 June – 4 July 1971, ex-catalogue (and before removal of additions by a later hand).
- Leslie Parris, The Tate Gallery Constable Collection, 1981, under cat. 46;
- Anne Lyles, ‘Sketch for The Leaping Horse’, British paintings and works on paper, Lowell Libson Ltd, 2013, pp. 100-3.
Private collection, USA