John Robert Cozens
The Approach to Martigny, Rhone Valley, Valais
- Watercolour over pencil
- 19 ⅜ × 26 ¾ inches · 493 × 680 mm
- Signed on the original mount: Jn Cozens
- Sir Frederick Eden;
- By descent to Mrs Deverell;
- Sir William Eden;
- Norman D. Newall, 1979;
- Private collection, 1985;
- Miss D. Scharf.
- Manchester, Whitworth Art Gallery, Watercolour Drawings by J. R. Cozens and J. S. Cotman, 1937, no. 86;
- Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Laing Art Gallery, Coronation Exhibition, 1953, no. 28.
- C. F. Bell and T. Girtin, ‘The Drawings and Sketches of John Robert Cozens’, Walpole Society, Vol. XXIII, 1935, no. 12ii;
- C. F. Bell, ‘Additions and corrections to the catalogue of sketches and drawings’, Walpole Society, 1947, p. 5.
- A. Wilton, The Art of Alexander and John Robert Cozens, exh. cat. New Haven (Yale Center for British Art), p.50.
Private collection, USA