Joseph Mallord William Turner
Plein air study: the Wharfe Valley from the Chevin looking towards Otley Bridge & Farnley Hall
- 7 ¾ × 10 ½ inches · 197 × 267 mm
- With a pencil sketch verso.
From the Farnley-Munro sketchbook of 1824
- H. A. J. Munro of Novar, a gift from Turner in 1836, (d. 1865);
- Isabella Munro-Johnstone, sister of the above, d.1873;
- Hon Henry Butler, husband of the above, d.1879;
- Henry Alexander Munro-Butler-Johnstone, son of the above, sold by 1880;
- John Postle Heseltine, d. 1929;
- Mrs J. P. Heseltine, wife of the above, d. 1935;
- Lt. Col. Christopher Heseltine, sale, Sotheby, 3-5 June 1935, (an album of sketches by Turner, £170);
- Allon Dawson, acquired circa 1935;
- By family descent, 2013.
- A. J. Finberg, ‘Turner’s newly identified Yorkshire sketchbook’, The Connoisseur, October 1935, pp.185-7;
- A. J. Finberg, The Life of J.M.W. Turner, 1961, pp. 286-7.
Private collection, UK