Orestes standing over the bodies of Clytemnestra and Aegisthus
Oceanus and Prometheus bound
- Pencil, strengthened with ink
- 9 × 11 ¼ inches · 229 × 285 mm
- Signed ‘J Flaxman’ (pasted on border, lower right)
Drawn circa 1795
- Thomas Hope, acquired from the artist;
- Lord Francis Hope Pelham-Clinton-Hope by descent, 1917;
- Pelham-Clinton-Hope sale, Humbert & Flint, 1917;
- Scott & Fowles, New York by 1918;
- Private collection, USA.
- New York, Scott & Fowles, 1918, Exhibition of Original Drawings by John Flaxman RA, 1918, cat. no. 58 (‘Oceanus (Prometheus chained)’.
- Martin Birnbaum (ed.), Catalogue of an Exhibition of Original Drawings by John Flaxman RA, Scott & Fowles, New York, 1918, cat. no. 58 (‘Oceanus (Prometheus chained)’, p. 31.
Private collection, USA