John Robert Cozens
An Alpine landscape, near Grindelwald, Switzerland
Montmélian in Savoy
- Oil on paper laid down on canvas
- 13 ½ × 21 ¾ inches · 343 × 552 mm
- Signed and inscribed: ‘MONT MELIAN / in Savoy / T. JONES No. XVIII’ (lower right)
Painted in 1776
- Thomas Jones;
- Anna Maria Thomas, daughter of the above;
- Jane Evan-Thomas, by descent;
- Private collection, by gift from the above, 1986;
- Private collection, USA, 2014.
- Cardiff, National Museum of Wales, Manchester, Whitworth Art Gallery and London, National Gallery, Thomas Jones (1742-1803): An Artist Rediscovered, 2003-4, no. 67.
- Paul. Oppé (ed.), ‘Memoirs of Thomas Jones, Penkerrig, Radnorshire, 1803’, The Walpole Society, vol. XXXII, 1946-8, p.44;
- Ann Sumner and Greg Smith (ed.), Thomas Jones (1742-1803): An Artist Rediscovered, exh. cat., London, 2003, p.177, repr.
Private collection, USA