Hugh Douglas Hamilton
- 10 ½ × 9 inches · 266 × 228 mm
- Inscribed bottom right ‘P. Byres’
- James Byres of Tonley; recorded in the 1790 inventory of Byres' house, Strada Paolina, Rome, as in the writing room;
- Patrick Byres of Tonley, and by descent;
- Christie's, London, 22nd November 1977, lot 108;
- with Colnaghi, London.
- Francis Russell, 'Batoni's Mrs Sandilands and other portraits from the collection of James Byres', Burlington Magazine, CXX, 1978, pp. 114-17, fig. 77;
- Brinsley Ford, 'The Byres Family', NACF Review, 1984, p. 115;
- Neil Jeffares, Dictionary of pastellists, online edition.
Private collection, USA