A wooded landscape with a herdsman reclining near a weir
- Oil on canvas
- 30 ½ × 37 inches · 775 × 940 mm
- Probably the painting with Panton Betew in 1764;
- Gooden and Fox c.1939;
- Arthur Churchman, Baron Woodbridge of Ipswich (1867-1949);
- The Hon Mrs Burnett, his daughter;
- and by descent.
- Glasgow, Burrell Collection, In the Public Eye, Great Works of Art from Scotland and the Borders, 2000 - 2001, no.30;
- On loan to Gainsborough’s House, Sudbury, 2001-2009.
- Ellis Waterhouse, Gainsborough, 1958, p.108, no.839;
- Basil Taylor, Painting in England 1700-1850, catalogue of the Collection of Mrs and Mrs Paul Mellon exhibited at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1963, p.52;
- John Hayes, The Landscape Paintings of Thomas Gainsborough, 1982, vol.II, p.366;
- To be included by Hugh Belsey in any supplement to The Landscape Paintings of Thomas Gainsborough.
Private collection, USA